It’s important to comprehend exactly what may go wrong in a cloud computing arrangement, even if we briefly touched on possible security concerns as a cloud computing disadvantage above.
Insecure APIs, illegal access, and improper cloud infrastructure configuration are some of the most urgent issues with cloud security, according to Check Point’s 2022 Cloud Security Report.
Think about these top cybersecurity dangers if you’re thinking about utilizing cloud services or shifting your activities there.
Misconfiguration of the security settings for cloud computing
Many small companies find cloud computing appealing due to its accessibility, but it may also pose security problems. Employees in various firms have varying degrees of access to cloud services. It is simpler to ignore an illegal access setting when there are more participants and access levels.
Additionally, since the infrastructure is cloud-based, businesses must depend on the security measures implemented by their supplier. There are additional opportunities for incorrect settings since these controls aren’t always obvious.
Track all levels of access your team members have to different cloud services to reduce this security risk and simplify access management. If you maintain it up to date, you can even construct a simple tracking page in Google Sheets. Another way to lower the risk is to conduct routine cybersecurity audits that cover all cloud providers’ security information and policies.
APIs provide you with more insight and control over your cloud apps and services. External APIs, however, are often insecure and serve as a point of entry for prospective assaults that may compromise private information and alter services.
A severe danger to small organizations, API attack traffic grew by around 700% between December 2020 and December 2021, according to Salt’s State of API Security Report for Q1 2022.
This security risk may be considerably decreased by creating internal APIs. But not every company has the internal know-how or resources to achieve this. Implementing authentication and authorization procedures, utilizing TLS/SSL to encrypt traffic, validating input, logging API activity, implementing API firewalls, and conducting routine audits and penetration tests to find and update out-of-date APIs are all ways to reduce risks.
loss of data
Data loss and leakage were cited as the top cloud computing security risk by two-thirds of the survey respondents in Bitglass’ 2020 Cloud Security Report. In addition to malware assaults, cloud data may also be lost if the cloud provider unintentionally deletes it, if a natural disaster destroys distant servers, such as a fire or earthquake, or if an encryption key is misplaced.
Make careful to back up all of your cloud-stored data to lower the chance of data loss. You should, at the very least, adhere to the 3-2-1 secure backups rule:
- Have at least three different data versions.
- Put it on two separate types of media.
- Keep one remote backup of your data.
- Use a cloud DLP solution as well to safeguard your data from illegal access and immediately lock off users when suspicious behavior is discovered.
Get cyber insurance that guards against damages from ransomware and other cyber threats to lessen the impact of a small company data breach.
What is the price of cloud computing?
Cloud computing costs vary greatly, mostly dependent on the cloud service you want. Here is an overview of typical prices:
- Dropbox and other cloud storage and file-sharing services provide free initial accounts but charge $20 per user per month for greater functionality in premium plans.
- Services like Carbonite’s cloud backup and recovery may cost $50 per month.
- Numerous cloud services are available via Amazon Web Services. Some of the company’s tiers are accessible for free (storage and time restrictions apply), while others need a one-time payment.
- The cost of cloud-based software varies by sector as well. The number of users, the manner in which the software will be introduced to and used by the firm, and the alternatives for priority technical assistance are other elements that have an impact on cost.